(I would also add they've contributed to our overall culture in very positive ways)---Editor
The House of Representatives passed The Combating Autism Reauthorization Act (CARA). This legislation authorizes $693 million in funding for three additional fiscal years. A personal thank you to all who contacted their representatives advocating for the extending of this very important legislation. Kudos to all!
Autism Support Network ran a terrific piece recently entitled, "Top 10 Terrific Traits Of Autistic People." In short, these traits include, but are not limited to, the following (note: I only use "people first" language, so the text will not always match that of ASN):
- People with Autism Rarely Lie
- People on the Autism Spectrum Live in the Moment
- People with Autism Rarely Judge Others
- People with Autism Are Passionate
- People with Autism Are Not Tied To Social Expectations
- People with Autism Have Terrific Memories
- People with Autism Are Less Materialistic
- People with Autism Play Fewer Head Games
- People with Autism Have Fewer Hidden Agendas
- People with Autism Open New Doors for Neurotypicals
Allow me a moment to add two more terrific traits to this list.
- People with Autism Are Very Smart and---just as important--- Very Cool!