Key Study and Findings:
A new report published in the Journal of Pediatrics clearly demonstrates the importance of early screening tests for autism. The old adage, "the earlier, the better," is shown to be true once again when it comes to detecting signs pointing to autism in children as young as 1 year of age. The findings and implications of this study include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Pediatricians need to start systematic screening of all children at routine well-baby checkups. Few do it now. (A 24 item checklist is now available online from Autism Speaks).
- The study shows it's possible to get reliable test results from children as young as 18-24 months. Currently, the average age of an autism diagnosis is 5.
- Most children are eligible for screening services in most states.
- The screening test used accurately diagnosed about 75% of the children.
Strong Suggestion from the editor of Autism News and Views: Advocate medical schools do a better job in the teaching of screening techniques for autism in children as young as 1.
Spotlight On Upcoming Events:
- Bridges Ride For Autism. This charity bike ride for autism is set for Sunday, July 17, 2011. Starting time will be 8 AM. Don't have a bike? No problem. There will also be a 5k walk over the Brooklyn Bridge starting at 8:30 AM. The event will begin at the South Street Seaport. Check-In time will be 7 AM. Registration information is available at: www.bridgesrideforautism.com/
- Autism 5K Walk/ Run on Saturday, May 21, 2001. The event will be held at Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis, MN. Contact: email@example.com.
- Step Up For Autism Walk on Sunday, June 26, 2011. The event will take place at the Naperville Riverwalk in Naperville, Ill. Contact #: 630.355.6533. Registration begins at 10:30 A.M.
- North Dakota Autism Center is sponsoring A Walk For Autism on Saturday, May 14, 2011. The event will be in West Fargo, ND. Registration starts at 9 A.M. Contact 701.277.8844 for more details.
- Contact Autism Speaks for a listing of all of the Walk Now For Autism Speaks events scheduled around the country.
- Milestone's 9th Annual Autism/Aspergers Conference. Tuesday, June 21, 2011. 8:30 A.M. - 5 PM. Mayfield Hgts., Ohio. Contact #: 216.464.7600
Visit African American Autism Support Services of Arizona. This distinguished provider was founded to address the unique needs within the African American community. They can be accessed here: www.africanamericanautismofaz.org/
4 Your Bookshelf: Ten Things Every Child With Autism Wishes You Knew by Ellen Notbohm. In this excellent book, Notbohm helps parents, therapists, teachers and others skillfully navigate through the world of sensory processing challenges, speech/language delays and elusive social interaction skills.